Our client is a highly successful, privately owned investment manager, with a global presence and offices in the UK and Continental Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Australia and Africa. As a result of internal secondment, they are seeking an experienced Operational Risk Manager in the London offices for 6 months.
Based in London and reporting to the Global Head of Operational Risk, you will:
- Maintain the risk assessment programme in conjunction with the Global Head of Operational Risk as well as action plans to mitigate operational risks.
- Work with the business unit to understand business drivers, concerns, future plans and offer support to mitigate risk.
- Identify, review, analyse and monitor operational risks across the different business units frequently and regularly.
- Implement strategies to prevent, eliminate and mitigate operational risks.
- Provide timely update of operational risk issues and decisions to managers.
- Update key risk control indicators (when required) in conjunction with the business with the completion of RCA’s.
- Ensure continuous improvement in operating procedures to mitigate or avoid risks and be proactive.
- Ensure compliance with risk management policies and FCA regulations.
- Utilising mathematical and statistical knowledge to assist with the building of risk models in support of operational risk management.
- Assist with the BCP and DRP projects.
- Be a backup for the Operational Risk Analyst in the UK (and in SA, when required).
- Maintain operational risk policies and procedures in line with regulatory and market changes
- Assist the business analyst for tasks relating to the UK and SA business.
Risk & Compliance Responsibilities
- Adhering to the in-house Code of Ethics which forms part of employment contract, and which includes (but is not limited to) the following key policies: Management of Conflicts of Interest, Treating Clients Fairly, Confidentiality of Client and Business Information, Handling of Inside Information, Personal Account Dealing, Disclosure of Outside Interests, Provision or receipt of Gifts, Entertainment, Events or other benefits
- Being alert to possible wider Compliance and Operational Risk issues within the general business (as well as own business area) such as staffing, Business Continuity Planning, reputational risk, etc., and reporting any concerns to Operational Risk.
- Being alert to possible and actual breaches of procedures and regulators rules and reporting them to Operational Risk.
- Ensuring that all changes in business practice are taken through the appropriate business forums and notified to Compliance and Operational and Investment Risk before they commence (for example new products, new business areas, new client type, new investment types or markets, etc.) to ensure any necessary due diligence can be performed in advance.
Person / Experience Required
Technical Knowledge and Experience
- 7 -10 Years work experience in an asset management or financial services environment.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have relevant, current experience (due to the immediate secondment of current internal resources)
- Evidence of strong analytical skills
- Exceptional communication skills and recent experience developing relationships with and influencing senior internal and external stakeholders
- The ability to deliver high quality results in advance of deadlines
- Accuracy and high attention to detail is essential
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently
- Self-starter, with ability to prioritise and demonstrate initiative
- Must be able to thrive under pressure
- Organised and willing to go the extra mile
- Be able to review and analyse processes in detail using a top down and bottom up approach
- Have a forensic bias towards analysing
- Enjoy performing root cause analysis
- Good writing, documenting, communication and people skills
- Discretion and confidentiality is essential