Salary: £70,000 + benefits
Our client is a dynamic, multi-disciplinary accountancy and business advisory firm providing a comprehensive range of professional audit, assurance, accountancy, tax and financial services to a wide range of businesses and charities.
This is an important role in the development and delivery of the Firms Audit and Assurance Services – ensuring that the firm’s excellent service levels to new and existing clients, generating fee income and contributing to the broadening of the services that the firm provides.
The role will be based in the London offices.
- Initiate, manage and implement projects and tasks that aim to develop and expand the Firms Audit and Assurance Services.
- Provide a leading role in the Firms London Audit and Assurance Services Team including, with others, effective planning and utilisation of staff resources and ensuring high quality, efficient, compliant and profitable services to clients.
- Manage a portfolio of Audit and Assurance Services assignments.
- Supervise Audit and Assurance Services junior managers, seniors and juniors.
- Provide a key role in the training, development and motivation of the firms Audit and Assurance Services Team.
- Provide technical and other support to the firms Audit and Assurance Services Compliance Partner.
- Manage the audit of statutory financial statements and other reporting engagements in accordance with International Standards on Auditing (UK and Ireland) and any other appropriate reporting engagement standards.
- In respect of your own portfolio, carry out the responsibilities of the Audit Manager as set out in the firms audit system documentation and, where appropriate, the Firms Practice Assurance Manual.
- Review or prepare, on a timely basis, for Partner approval, all necessary communications required for audit purposes including engagement letters, general correspondence, pre-audit letters, requests for confirmation and audit findings letters.
- Respond to, and deal with, audit related correspondence and queries received from clients including the preparation and/or review of written responses for Partner approval.
- Assurance, accountancy and related assignments.
- Manage the preparation of statutory financial statements and other financial statements for all types of entity in accordance with UK GAAP and any other appropriate financial reporting standards.
- In respect of your own portfolio, carry out the responsibilities of the Audit and Assurance Services Manager as set out in the Firms Practice Assurance Manual.
- Liaise with clients, on a timely basis, to arrange access to, or obtain, their accounting records and other documents that required to complete the assignment in time to meet all agreed timescales and due dates of filing.
- Review the statutory financial statements (including abbreviated accounts and consolidated financial statements where required) and other financial statements and the supporting working papers file ready for Partner review in accordance with agreed timescales.
- Review monthly/quarterly management accounts.
- Discuss the preliminary results with the client including a review and explanation of variances.
- Arrange for the appropriate Tax Team to prepare draft tax computations (for incorporated and unincorporated entities) and make the appropriate provisions for tax in the accounts prior to passing the accounts for Partner review.
- Liaise with the appropriate Tax Team and the client, as necessary, to ensure that all relevant information is available for the timely completion and filing of tax returns.
- Review VAT returns, where appropriate, in all HMRC calculation formats.
- Review on a timely basis, for Partner approval, all necessary communications required for the purposes of the assignment including engagement letters, general correspondence, pre-assignment letters, requests for information and financial review letters.
- Respond to and deal with accounts related correspondence and queries received from clients, including the review or preparation of written responses, for Partner approval.
Training and development
Arrange and, if necessary, assist with the training of all levels of staff in the Audit and Assurance Services Team in all aspects of the Firms policies, practices and procedures relating to the provision of audit and assurance services.
Assist other members of the Audit and Assurance Services Team with technical queries.
Supervision of others:
- Plan and properly supervise the effective and efficient use of junior managers, senior and junior members of the team assigned to the engagement.
- Ensure that an adequate and complete briefing is given to all members of the team assigned to the engagement.
- Completion of Staff Job appraisal forms for all staff used on an assignment with duration of more than 3 days or where an individual performance has been particularly good or particularly poor.
- In conjunction with other managers in the Audit and Assurance Services Team, line management responsibility for Junior Managers, Senior and Junior members of the team.
- Direct responsibility for the supervision of staff allocated to the assignments for which the Manager is responsible.
This job description reflects the post as at September 2015 but may be amended from time to time following consultation with the post holder.
Person / Experience Required
Excellent knowledge of International Standards on Auditing (UK and Ireland) and of UK GAAP including Financial Reporting Standards and related law.
- 5 to 10 years experience at manager level in a general practice firm.
- Supervisory experience.
- Manager role on audit engagements with a turnover of not less than £10 million.
- Wide range of sector experience including manufacturing, distribution, service industries, professional services firms and charities.
- Good IT skills including the use of audit software, accounts production software, Excel, WORD and Outlook.
- Skills and personal qualities.
- Leadership and planning.
- The ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from Partners, staff, clients and government agencies.
- The ability to write concise reports and business correspondence.
- Meticulous attention to detail to ensure accurate work.
- Keen to learn and develop demonstrates understanding of own profession and keeps abreast of relevant developments.
- Managing and developing others.
- Supervisory and management skills and the ability to delegate effectively.
- The ability to share knowledge, coach, motivate and encourage junior staff to develop.
- Client satisfaction.
- Ability to utilise technical expertise and knowledge to contribute to the development and broadening of services to clients.
Professional attitude identifies and acts upon client needs and is able to deliver excellent client services.
The ability to work flexibly with willingness to travel to client sites and the Firms other office (Guildford). Such travel may include attendance at conferences or seminars for the purposes of maintaining and updating professional skills.
Qualified ACA or ACCA
Apply for this Vacancy